December 12, 2010
Over the last 11 days I rented from 5 rental car companies. Here's a short review of each:
- Fox: very reasonable prices and new cars. They gave me a brand new Ford Fiesta. Unfortunately this wasn't a great car for San Francisco. The transmission felt like it was slipping on any steep incline. But it was clean and had less than 500 miles on it.
- Hertz: I actually don't remember anything about them or the car. Which means it was probably adequate.
- Dollar: old, loud car that smelled like smoke. I won't be renting from them again. The price was awesome but the car needed to be aired out.
- Enterprise: amazing service. They walked us to the cars and let us choose. They didn't have any economy sized cars so we were double upgraded for $3 extra a day. Looking back maybe this was a tactic to get some more money but for only $3 it was worth it.
- Budget: one of the few places I encountered that rent Toyotas. We drove a Corolla back home from Pittsburgh. It was comforting knowing I was driving a relatively new and well engineered car. They also made sure we had an ice scraper.